Often, a tire blowout can be confused with a flat tire; however, the two are different. A flat tire typically has a slower release of pressure, whereas a blowout involves a fast and immediate pressure loss. When a blowout occurs, you will hear an explosive, loud noise due to the pressure erupting. Another significant difference is that flat tires can sometimes be saved and patched up, whereas a tire blowout is NOT salvageable.
What To Do If You Experience a Tire Blowout:
- Drive straight.When your tire blows, the car manages to wobble and lean in one direction. You need to tightly grasp the steering wheel and attempt to steer the vehicle in a straight path. Even though you may be tempted to overcorrect or turn the car in a different direction, avoid this and try to keep your vehicle moving forward.
- Do NOT step on the brakes. Applying the brakes is a horrible idea when your tire blows out. Instead, it would help if you accelerated gently to retrieve control. Accelerating does not put you in any harm’s way as a blown tire creates resistance, therefore slowing down the vehicle.
- Slow down and pull over. Gently release your foot off the gas pedal and let the car slow down. You can then gently apply the brakes once you have reached 30 miles per hour or less.
- Turn on your hazard lights. It is always wise to use your blinkers in an emergency. It would help if you turned on your blinkers when you start to decelerate and keep them on when you get to a complete stop.
- Change your tire if you can. You can do this once your car is safely parked on the road shoulder. Always call for assistance in case you are unable to do it yourself.
Experiencing a tire blowout can be quite dangerous and alarming. Proper tire maintenance is the most reliable way to dodge a blowout. Tire maintenance involves:
- Keeping the tire at an appropriate pressure.
- Ensuring you have even wear and tread depth.
- Changing tires after every 6 years, or according to manufacturer recommendations.
- Have your tires regularly balanced, rotated, and aligned.
Caliber Auto Care offers tire maintenance services and tires for purchase at great prices so that you can drive without concern. Visit our shop at any of our 31 locations today for your tire maintenance and repair needs.